If your valuable documents or photos have gotten wet due to Hurricane Harvey, you may still be able to salvage them.
While these tips won’t work in every instance, they may help you save some of your documents and pictures.
How to Salvage Valuable Documents After a Flood
- Rinse and freeze them in a frost-free freezer
- Dry them with a blow dryer as soon as they are thawed
- Place a sheet of blotting paper between the pages
- Never force the sheets apart; simply dry them until they come apart easily
- Make copies as soon as you can
- Use baking soda if you need to absorb odors, but don’t put it directly on the paper
How to Salvage Photos After a Flood
- Freeze photos to stop the damage
- Put wet or frozen pictures that are stuck together in cold (and clean) water to separate them
- Never let pictures come into contact with running water
- Place each picture face-up on a towel or paper towel
- Never wipe them when they’re wet