Activated by infrared waves, motion-detector lighting can illuminate a dark driveway, a dark sidewalk, and a dark yard, thwarting would-be thieves while also giving homeowners a lit, safe path to their own front or back door.
If your home is not already equipped with such lighting, this video from Lowe’s will be helpful. It’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to install motion-detector lighting on your home.
The basic steps are as follows:
- Cut the power at the circuit breaker
- If applicable, remove the existing light fixture
- Install the mounting strap
- Connect the junction box wires to the light fixture wires
- Mount the fixture to the mounting strap
Lowe’s marks the the skill level to complete the job as “intermediate”. So, if you don’t want to tackle the job yourself, or if the idea of working with electricity frightens you, reach out to a handyman.
Motion-detector lights sell for as little as $25.