Whether you’re bringing in your whole family for the holidays or you’ll be traveling to others’ homes across the country, fire safety is incredibly important during the holidays.
We consulted with a few experts, and here’s what they said.
Fire Safety When You’re Not Home
Nearly half of all electrical fires in the home are from:
- Faulty electrical outlets
- Outdated appliances
- Light bulbs that exceed the recommended wattage
- Damaged or misused extension cords
- Dirty space heaters (or those that are poorly positioned)
- Outdated wiring
When you’re gone, unplug everything. Don’t leave your Christmas lights plugged in, and if you can, unplug major appliances, as well.
Fire Safety When You Have Guests
According to Medline Plus, there are a few steps you can take while you’re home and when you have guests to help prevent fires, too:
- Don’t leave the stove or oven unattended when they are on
- Don’t let children use kitchen appliances unsupervised
- Don’t smoke in bed
- Make sure your electrical appliances and cords are in good condition
The American Red Cross has a great Fire Prevention and Safety Checklist you can use to help teach your kids about fire safety, too.
Other Fire Safety Links You May Find Helpful
- Fire Safety (For Parents)(Nemours Foundation) Also in Spanish
- Home Fires(Department of Homeland Security)
- Heating Safety(National Fire Protection Association) Also in Spanish
- Wildfires(National Fire Protection Association)
- Sparky’s Firehouse(National Fire Protection Association)